Steve Parish – Photographer, Author & Publisher
Steve is a passionate and highly motivational speaker, writer, teacher and digital artist, and one of few Australian photographers who can look back over five-plus decades of photography across a range of Australian social and natural history subjects.
Steve pioneered underwater nature photography in association with the Australian Museum which led to his first publishing ventures in the late ’60s and now manages the largest and most comprehensive privately owned photographic library in the nation; it is from this vast resource that he has created all his projects. While many of his featured images are now iconic, others are being seen here in this website and associated Fine Art Gallery and Stock Libraries for the first time.
Steve first started publishing in dive magazines in Australia and New Zealand at the age of 18. Since then, he has shared his work with the Australian community through thousands of publications, talks, exhibitions, and public events.
Today, he resides in the Blackall Range on the Sunshine Coast Hinterland, where he and his partner are building a self-sustaining family community. From his digital studio, he and his family steer Steve Parish – Nature Connect, an internet portal that offers publishing, library services, fine art decor, photographic education Australia-wide.
In 2018 Steve launched Photography: A Pathway to Purpose and major online Masterclass offering creative life and photographic communication education globally.
About Nature Connect
VIA THIS WEB PORTAL WE HOST
Nature Connect teaching, speaking and training – online and physical workshops and masterclasses structured around an extensive program – Photography: A Pathway to Purpose.
Nature Connect Publication Development – working with Australian Publishers in the production of a vast range of Australian social and natural history publications across a range of categories for all ages.
Nature Connect Photography and Stock Library – field photography and the sales of stock images.
Nature Connect Art – corporate and home decor wall prints.
The fundamental concept of nature connection is the single most important issue of our time.
Why is this an issue? Nature connection is a state of mind. Accepting that we are intrinsically part of nature, rather than the apex species on the pyramid, will result in empathy for the remaining ecology surrounding us. For without the basic elements of sun, air, water, and soil we would cease to exist.
The importance of nature connection is rarely if ever, brought into conscious thought by the greater proportion of people. Society can be separatist in its thinking and many believe that their lives are lived apart from ‘the natural world’. Through its many avenues, especially online, Nature Connect strives to ‘inspire others to regard the natural world as essential to spiritual, mental and physical wellbeing’
Through the media of visual arts, verbal and written expression; to enhance lives to a beneficial and sustained connection with Nature for the wellbeing of all.
- Creating (To ‘be at one’ in the moment with Self/Others/Spirit/Nature)
- Joyful Passion (For exhilaration, excitement, challenge, optimal personal fun and fulfilment in both work and play)
- Abundance (“Wealth in all forms” and implies profit for all including Nature which is the ultimate source of all wealth)
- Inspiring (To light a fire in others)
- Connecting (Storytelling, sharing, communicating about nature)
- Aspiring (To set standards in our field, quality and all we do towards something greater)
- Balance (Synergy among all forms of life. Implies sustainability and ethics, with an obvious extension to business/relationships.)
Steve Parish Publishing Pty Ltd and now Steve Parish Nature Connect Pty Ltd began developing publications in 1985.
Steve Parish Nature Connect released a comprehensive range of eGuides and Videos under the banner PHOTOGRAPHING AUSTRALIA: The Ultimate Travel Guide.
Steve Parish Publishing
Achievements and Awards
In 1985, Steve Parish launched the signature brand Steve Parish Publishing. Over thirty-four years, Steve’s brand became a significant award-winning multimillion-dollar business, at its peak employing 125 staff with annual sales of $15 million. Unrivalled by any publisher along with its in-house sales and distribution network, the publishing company serviced over 3500 accounts.
Based on the philosophy of inspiring nature connection, Steve and his then partner Jan Parish developed Steve Parish Publishing and in-house writing, editing, photography, photographic library and pre-press Company.
The team then went on to create an extensive Australiana and Natural History publication program across many categories for all ages. Many of the publication, updated and still available, sold in tens of thousands receiving international acclaim.
Due to the Brisbane 2011 floods, Steve was forced to liquidate his publishing brand which was purchased by Pascal Press with whom he continues to develop his Signature Range.
- 2019, Australian Institute of Professional Photography awarded Honorary Fellow in recognition for outstanding contribution to the photography industry.
- 2014, Australian Marine Conservation Society Honorary Life Membership for a lifetime commitment to conservation in Australia.
- 2012, Australian Institute of Professional Photography Queensland Industry Lifetime Achievement Award Professional Photography.
- 2008, Steve Parish Publishing Best Illustrated Whitley Award for Growing Up with Australian Birds, by author and photographer Raoul Slater.
- 2008, shortlisted for Children’s Book Council Awards, Eve Pownall Awards for Fact File: Australia’s Deadly & Dangerous Animals, by Michael Cermak, published by Steve Parish Publishing.
- 2008, Steve Parish awarded Order of Australia Medal for services to the publishing industry through the publication of Australian nature.
- 2007, shortlisted for Children’s Book Council Awards, Eve Pownall Awards for Amazing Facts about Australian Dinosaurs, Steve Parish Publishing & Queensland Museum.
- 2007, shortlisted for Galley Club Award for Innovative Design for Fan Palm Address Book
- 2003, Wilderness Society Environment Award for Outstanding Environmental Publishing.
- 2003, shortlisted in the Children’s Book Council Eve Pownall Award for Information Books for ARK: Discover & Learn about Australian Forests and Woodlands.
- 2001, Winner in the Whitley Awards in the Best Popular Zoology Book category for the Encyclopedia of Australian Wildlife.
- 2000, shortlisted in the Wilderness Society Environment Award for Children’s Literature for the Encyclopedia of Australian Wildlife.
- 1999, Australian Photographic Society’s Award for Contribution to Nature Photography.
- 1998, Certificate of Commendation in the Whitley Awards for the best book in the category Illustrated Works for the casebound book Australian Birds by Peter Slater.
- 1998, Certificate of Commendation in the Whitley Awards for the best books in the category Junior Secondary Series for the Discover & Learn Amazing Facts Books.
- 1996, Certificate of Merit in the Printing Industries of America Premier Print Awards.
- 1996, Gold Medal for Casebound Books in the 13th National Print Awards.
- 1995, Bronze Medal for Casebound Books in the 12th National Print Award.
- 1994 The Galley Club Award for Excellence in Book Production for children.